Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Whigs, Canada, Skin Organs, and Flying Fish Whisks!



(Actually a T-shirt design) ^
    Great Britain’s equivalent of Democrats and Republicans are referred to as Whigs and Tories. Yeah, I know. The British are really imaginative. (Kinda like their design for the 2012 London Olympics mascots? It gave me nightmares of the ‘Telly-tubby’ like creatures drowning me in rainbows! No offense to any Brits that might see this, but man-oh-man, seriously?) But in my American Government studies, it appears that the Whig Party was actually originally started…here. Yep, in the good ol’ US of A. In fact, thanks to Martin van Buren and the Whigs, we have national conventions, party delegates, a spoils systems, and complicated political campaigns. That’s right! Ol’ Hickory started it all when he made his triumph in 1828 and the subsequent era after that he domineered lead to the rise of political campaigns. Now back to the Whigs…they were a party that originally organized themselves against Van Buren when he came back for a second round as incumbent (no, that’s not some sort of fancy belt you wear with a tux, it’s a fancy name for the previous victor). They studied General Andrew Jackson’s flashy “campaign” to success years before and came up with their own ‘military general genius’ for themselves: which lead to William Henry Harrison’s victory and presidency. And oh thank heavens for the Whigs, who started this whole “the bigger the better” style of flashy promotion for presidential candidates that still goes on today. And yeah, I’m being just a wee bit sarcastic right now.

Oh, Canadaaaa...
    You know, it’s really not fair. I’ve wanted to go to Canada ALLLL my life and now just suddenly, all these friends of mine are just popping up on Facebook saying they’re in MY dream country! *laughs* Actually, I will get my chance. This coming summer I’m planning a huge 2-week trip to Montreal (and surrounding mall areas, lol) because I think I’ve waited long enough to see ol’ Canada once and for all. And I’m coming prepared too! I read somewhere that the younger generation of Quebecians (Quebecii’s? Quebecs?) cuss. So I’ve memorized all the needed French swear words so I know what they’ll be saying. No, I’m not being dirty, or naughty, or wicked, I’m merely being prepared. *laughs* The one thing that I’ve especially looking forward to is actually using my 3 years of French. That should get interesting. But hey, if you can read the street signs, order a decent meal, and say hey to someone in a different language than your own, that’s pretty awesome no matter who you are or how long (UGH) you’ve studied a language! C’est bon!

Ewwwww.
    Have you ever grossed yourself out? Just by thinking about something? I have and did recently. It wasn’t my fault, it was the health book’s fault. I mean, seriously, do you realize how gross it is to read about your skin being an actual ORGAN and then looking down at your arm and the truth really sinking in? I almost presented my breakfast again. Sure, yes, it’s awesome. God’s design for our bodies is really fantabulous! But I guess I never thought of my skin, that covers my ENTIRE structure…as a specialized organ. Eww, see? I just shivered again. I bet you did too. I just always thought noggins, guts, and eyeballs as organs, not my skin. Interesting nonetheless. What I also learned is that the coverings of our bodies, [skin, duh], is made up of specialized cells called “epitheal tissues.” That’s a pretty cool term huh? Although it sort of sounds creepy. Guess who won’t be a skin doctor someday? *waves hand* Another interesting thing is that while, yes, the skin on our bodies is an organ, that also means if it’s sick then the rest of the body will have some trouble too. See, ALL of our organs have to be in top condition in order for us to be completely ready to rip roaring and go. So if you happen to scald your back really bad thanks to Mr. Sunshine at the plage, (beach in French), you might find yourself with a headache, or a tummy ache because the rest of your body depends upon your skin to protect your guts. Make sense? Absolutely. Oh wait, I just answered myself.

Thee fish whisks!
   I gotta say right now I just ADORE Pier 1 Imports stores. I would live in a Pier 1 store if they’d let me. But of course they wouldn’t want me sleeping on their zebra print chairs or inhaling their candles for more than a couple hours let alone LIVING in the store! But you know what’s even cuter than the wingback chairs they have or the scented candles? The flying fish whisks! I am not kidding! These little whisker-babies are a part of their animal-kitchen accessories line and are absolutely adorable. And they kinda look like an adjustable rake because they are, in fact, adjustable in which you make the whisk larger or smaller! TALK ABOUT AWESOME!!! My kitchen is now adorned with a new flying fish whisk and I just had to share with you on here. Go out and get one yourself, they are only $6 (on SALE, ladies!) and will definitely come in handy, if only for an interesting conversation starter on the joys of having Pier 1 kitchen items…

Love always, Lizzie ♥

P.S. I must remember to say Mr. Kossack...not Mr. Kodak.

P.P.S I updated my About Me page....go see :)

4 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say! I laughed and laughed and laughed through this post! You are just so funny, smart and witty. :D :D :D

    I'm sharin' it. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lizzie, nice blog! Random and chic, keep it up! Look forward to reading more. :) <3

    www.missemy07.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Emy! I'm going to check out yours. Thanks so much for reading/commentings ;)

    ReplyDelete

i'm curious, what are your thoughts on this? thanks for sharing!
-lizzie